Country comes to Notre Dame

COUNTRY WEB
Keri OMara
Saturday is a much-anticipated day for many students on campus. All the iPhone countdowns that have ticked away for months will culminate at 10 p.m. at Legends Night Club for the Jon Pardi and Thomas Rhett free concert. Both big-time performers in the country circuit right now, Pardi and Rhett have several songs on the Top 100 Country charts. Their other tour stops are selling out fast with the cheapest amphitheater seats going for at least $50, and this is a concert most ND students would pay money to go to over the summer.  But a little taste of summer country fun can be had for free, in South Bend, in the ice-cold winter at Legends?  Giddy up!

Thomas Rhett is likely to be the first act. He is fairly new on the country scene, but is nominated for ACM New Artist of the Year.  His debut album, “It Goes Like This,” came out last March, with top songs from the album including “It Goes Like This,” “Get Me Some of That” and “Something to Do With my Hands.”  Rhett is actually a successful songwriter as well as a performer, with songs from Jason Aldean’s smash hit album “My Kinda Party” under his belt.

Jon Pardi will be the second act of the evening. You might remember him as the opener for Dierks Bentley’s 2010 tour. Pardi released his first album “Write You a Song” last month.  The album peaked at No. 3 on country album charts, boasting two hit singles: “Missin’ You Crazy” and the hugely popular “Up All Night.”  It really is an all around standout album, and it’s worth listening to the whole thing so you don’t miss gems like “Trash a Hotel Room.”

If you’re a fan of country music, be sure to check the Legend’s concert this Saturday.  Rhett and Padri are sure to be big country stars. The show is free and is without a doubt an opportunity to check out two up-and-coming sensations. You won’t want to miss Jon Pardi and Thomas Rhett in this close and intimate setting before they hit the big stages this summer, and in the midst of this cold, it’s sure to be a great way to warm up your winter.