Domer Dish: Post-Valentine's

domer dish
Keri O'Mara
Keri O'Mara

Most holiday traditions involve food. Last week, we celebrated Valentine’s Day, a day that in some shape or form revolves around food and not just any kind of food, but delicious, sugary treats.

Whether you are indulging in chocolates gifted to you by your significant other or indulging in chocolates, heart-shaped sugar cookies or pints of ice cream purchased by your happily single self, Valentine’s Day basically begs for unrestrained sweet consumption.

After wholehearted participation in this sugar spree, one’s heart and entire body may beg him or her to steer clear of desserts, at least for a few days.

Luckily, the only holiday on the calendar this week is Presidents’ Day, and nobody celebrates Presidents’ Day with sweets (unless, of course, your family is unique like mine and makes President Washington’s cherry cobbler and chocolate “Lincoln Logs“).

So, if you feel like your body is asking for a break from candy, try out the following desserts inspired by the European tradition of fruit and yogurt after dinner.

Microwave Baked Apples: 

This recipe can be attempted with either apples or pears.

First, slice a pear, apple or use the pre-sliced apples at South Dining Hall. Place them in a bowl that will survive the microwave.

In a separate bowl, mix a spoonful (or two) of white or brown sugar and a pinch of cinnamon. Sprinkle this mixture over the apples. Place a small spoonful of butter on top of the apples.

This will melt and combine with the sugar and cinnamon into a gooey coating on the apples.

Cover the bowl with a microwavable plate, and microwave for three to five minutes or until the apples are tender.

After removing the apples, stir and drizzle with maple syrup (to taste).

Tips:  To make a homemade apple crisp, sprinkle a handful of granola (the kind without raisins) over the apples. And, if you find that you really cannot have apple crisp without vanilla ice cream melting over the delicious warm apple mixture, grab a scoop or two of frozen yogurt.

Fruit Sundae: 

Invite a friend to help you pick out a few pieces of fruit. (I suggest an orange, kiwi and banana.)

Peel and slice the fruit and divide the pieces evenly between you and your friend.

Fill a bowl with vanilla yogurt and put the fruit slices on top. Drizzle a spoonful of honey over the fruit and sprinkle a bit of coconut (from the ice cream topping bar) on top. Enjoy!

As always, if you want to see your own creative recipes featured next week, send me an email!