Nite at the Snite Museum

NiteAtTheSniteMuseum_WEB_UPDATED
Steph Wulz

The Snite Museum of Art pairs up with SUB’s AcoustiCafé again Thursday for this semester’s Snite@Nite. The free gathering tonight combines art, music and food and highlights all the museum has to offer. After a successful Snite@Nite event in October, the evening of programming is returning to give patrons old and new a look at the museum after dark.

AcoustiCafé performers for the evening include Jon Schommer and the Cute Townies, Olivia Godby and Emily Migliore, who will play in various rooms throughout the museum, rather than at SUB’s usual venues. The event will also feature a performance from Notre Dame’s own Humor Artists, a set from DJ Shiny Pants (aka Notre Dame senior John Stallings) and a photo booth to capture those museum memories.

Along with the live performances, Snite@Nite is an opportunity to see the museum’s notable exhibitions available this semester. These include “American Ruins: Challenging Ideas of Progress,” the newest exhibition currently in the museum. Created by a group of student curators with the help of American Studies professor Erika Doss, the collection consists of 20 photographs that examine American industrialism and exceptionalism through images of ruins across the United States.

Another exhibition, called “The Artist’s View: Landscape Drawings from the Crocker Art Museum,” features a diverse collection of drawings of nature landscapes by European artists. This evening, Snite@Nite will offer the opportunity for attendees to make their own landscapes, bringing a unique interactive element to “The Artist’s View.”

If drawing isn’t exactly your cup of tea, you can turn to the food and beverages that will accompany two more of the Snite’s collections.

“No Little Art” is an exhibition featuring 16th-century woodcut prints, with a focus on the formative work of German artist Albrecht Dürer. Jumping forward a few centuries, “Ornament Doesn’t Need Little Flowers” features the work of contemporary German printmaker Anton Würth, along with a collection of prints by various artists that trace back the history of engraving. To celebrate the achievements of these two German artists, German food provided by South Bend’s own Weiss’ Gausthuass will be available at Snite@Nite.

If you can’t make it to this fun-filled event, fear not. The exhibitions will remain until March and shouldn’t be missed, and the Snite has an impressive lineup of events this semester, including a talk with Anton Würth himself, a “Print-a-Palooza” as part of the museum’s Third Thursdays series and an upcoming poetry slam. Take advantage of the Snite’s fantastic exhibitions, as well as their unique opportunities to discuss, participate and learn from the arts on our very own campus.

The Snite@Nite event is tonight from 7 to 10 p.m. in the Snite Museum of Art. Admission is free.