Club Fever changes policies

Club Fever announced several safety policy changes following the March 1 shooting outside the club in downtown South Bend, club owner Dee Davis said last week. The shooting occurred near the intersection of Michigan and Wayne streets as a crowd of people exited Club Fever in the early morning hours of March 1, according to a report in the South Bend Tribune. In response to this incident, club owner Dee Davis said Club Fever will institute new safety and emergency policies. “We are playing a [public service announcement] every hour that we are over 50 percent capacity that informs patrons of exit locations,” Davis said. “We are also scrolling that PSA text on the video screens.” In addition to these safety policies, Davis said Club Fever plans to crack down on underage drinkers and admittance of intoxicated patrons. “We are posting signage at the entrances explaining that presenting a fraudulent ID in Indiana is a class C misdemeanor and may be punished by fines and a one year suspension of driving privileges,” Davis said. Davis said Club Fever will enforce an “increased scrutiny of false IDs.” “It’s amazing how many Notre Dame students seem to come from Connecticut,” he said. Club Fever will continue to prevent already-intoxicated patrons from entering , Davis said. “We are posting signage at the doors advising that it is against state law for us to knowingly admit visibly intoxicated persons,” he said. “If you want to get in, go easy on the pre-game.” Davis said these changes will directly affect students for whom the club is a popular destination. “The biggest effect on the students will be that we will be more vigilant about admitting intoxicated patrons,” he said. “Students tend to want to save a couple of bucks and get blasted before they arrive, and some sneak in their own booze. If we see that, they won’t be admitted that evening.” Davis said the club will also help intoxicated students make their way back home if they are not admitted into the club. “We are posting notices at each bar outlining that it is against the law to knowingly serve intoxicated patrons,” he said. “If an employee determines a patron is intoxicated, we will assist them by calling a cab, but with our multiple bars, we cannot allow them to remain in the club.” “We are posting signage at each door with phone numbers for local cab companies.”