Irish take home court against Golden Eagles

Coming off of a weekend that featured losses to two top-10 teams in No. 6 Virginia and No. 10 North Carolina, No. 22 Notre Dame looks to bounce back in Wednesday’s match against Marquette at Eck Tennis Pavilion.

This is the first time the Irish (8-8, 2-6 ACC) and the Golden Eagles (8-6, 0-0 Big East) meet this season, as the Eagles look to extend their two-match winning streak and the Irish look to snap their two-match losing streak.

Senior Britney Sanders hits a wide forehand in her doubles match against Georgia Tech on Feb. 21. Sanders and doubles partner sophomore Quinn Gleason fell 3-6, 6-3, 7-5 to their opponents.
The Golden Eagles have won both of their previous matches against IUPUI and Illinois State on Friday by convincing scores of 7-0 each, in no small part thanks to the performance of several strong doubles teams.

Senior Rocio Diaz and sophomore Erin Gebes, the Golden Eagles’ No. 1 doubles team, picked up an 8-1 victory Friday against IUPUI’s Abbey Neff and Julie Brockman, while fellow Golden Eagle pairing of junior Ana Pimienta and sophomore Aina Hernandez Soler posted an 8-3 victory as the No. 2 doubles team.

Elsewhere in singles competition, a multitude of strong performances bolstered the Golden Eagles over the weekend.

Junior Ana Pimienta won both of her singles matches over the weekend by a count of 6-2, 2-6, 10-6 in the first match followed by an easier second match of 6-0, 6-2. Gebes also performed well in singles over the weekend, winning 6-0, 6-0 in her first match followed by a victory of 6-1, 6-1 in the second.

For the Irish, sophomore Quinn Gleason was the only player to come away with a singles victory against the Tar Heels on Sunday. Gleason won her match against freshman Hayley Carter, a top-10-ranked singles player, in straight sets by a count of 6-4, 6-4.

Elsewhere, Irish senior Jennifer Kellner took her match against North Carolina junior Caroline Price to the limit, dropping in straight sets by a count of 7-6, 7-6 (7-5). Fellow Irish senior Britney Sanders also performed well in a losing effort, battling against Tar Heel freshman Jamie Loeb, No. 1-ranked singles player in the country, by a score of 6-3, 7-5.

The Irish take on the Golden Eagles on Wednesday at Eck Tennis Pavilion. Match time is set to begin at 3:30 p.m.