Saint Mary's Announces 2014 Commencement News

Saint Mary’s College announced the 2014 commencement speaker and valedictorian on Tuesday in a press release.

Judith Mayotte will deliver the commencement address, according to the release. The humanitarian, professor, author and Emmy Award-winning producer will be presented with an honorary doctor of humanities degree at Commencement.

Brianne Michaels, a computational mathematics major from Valparaiso, Ind., was named valedictorian of class of 2014. She will deliver the valedictory address during Commencement ceremonies May 17 on Le Mans Green in front of Le Mans Hall.

“I am truly honored to be named valedictorian and I am excited to have the opportunity to deliver my commencement speech to the fabulous Class of 2014,” Michaels said in the release. “I have gained life-long friends at Saint Mary’s, which is just as valuable to me as the outstanding education I have received.”

Michaels will join Land O’Lakes, Inc., in Minneapolis as an information technology rotational analyst after graduation, the release said.

Mayotte has worked among and advocated on behalf of refugees and internally displaced civilians around the world, earning the Foundation’s World Citizenship Award in 2009, the release said.

Also receiving an honorary doctorate at Commencement is Helen Murray Free, a pioneering chemist who conducted research that revolutionized diagnostic testing in the laboratory and at home.

“I am delighted to recognize two exceptional women this year with honorary degrees from Saint Mary’s College,” College President Carol Ann Mooney said in the release. “Their backgrounds and achievements fit perfectly with our dreams for our graduates.”

The release said alumna Sara Belanger of the class of 1971 will receive the President’s Medal at Commencement, which is an honor rarely bestowed to those who have offered exceptional contributions to the life of the College and the community.  Belanger has served on the Saint Mary’s Board of Trustees and the Alumnae Association Board of Directors.