Saint Mary's announces election results

The results of elections for the class presidents, vice presidents and senators that will join the Student Government Association’s (SGA) president- and vice president-elect, juniors McKenna Schuster and Sam Moorehead, were announced Thursday, Graci Martsching, the assistant director of student involvement and multicultural services, said.

“The election process is always dynamic,” Martsching said. “We were lucky to have so many passionate women wanting to serve their community. The Saint Mary’s community responded to that passion by having more students vote this year than in recent years.” 

news teaser 1
Keri O'Mara | The Observer

Marsching said the 842 votes received in this year’s student elections was roughly 700 more votes cast than last year.

Juniors Lauren Osmanski and Victoria Wilbraham will represent next year’s senior class as president and vice president. Sophomore Lindsay Rzepecki will serve as president for the class of 2016 and sophomore Maddie Kohler as the class’s senator. The class of 2017 president and vice president will be first years Ellen Raymond and Margaret Carswell, respectively. The class of 2017 elected first year Mary Claire Burchett as their senator.

“As class of ’17 president and vice president, we promise to focus on the needs and desires of our class,” Raymond said in her platform. “By focusing on the core values of a Saint Mary’s woman, we hope to emphasize the importance of teamwork, sisterhood and community.”

Raymond said she and Carswell hope to integrate their class in campus-wide activities. They stated they held particular interest in improving the communication between the class board and the overarching student body through social media and effective advertising and in increasing the board’s reliability and instilling trust between the student body and their leaders. Sophomore Kaitlyn Baker and first year McKenzie Johnson were elected as president and vice president, respectively, of the Resident Hall Association (RHA).

Juniors Callie Brown and vice president Maeve Curley will head the Student Diversity Board (SDB) as president and vice president in the coming school year. As a fourth-year members of SDB, Brown and Curly expect to continue and expand upon the club’s mission, Brown said.“We plan to unite the Saint Mary’s College community in celebration of the diversity of every Saint Mary’s Belle,” Brown said. “We plan to emphasize diversity in all its forms, including socio-economic backgrounds, sexual orientation, faiths, ethnicities and unique abilities.”

The board intends to use the campus as a venue to learn about diversity through meaningful social and educational events, Brown said. The president- and vice president-elect said that this aligned perfectly with their goal for the board’s main annual event, the Diverse Students’ Leadership Conference.

“We plan to increase the magnitude of this year’s Diverse Students’ Leadership Conference as we celebrate its 10th anniversary,” Brown said. Brown and Curley said they wanted to work with the College administration to increase the enrollment and retention of students with diverse backgrounds.

The Student Activities Board (SAB) will welcome junior Arianna Thelen and sophomore Colleen Michael as president and vice president for next year. Their platform statet they intend to encourage community participation ie social and recreational events on campus.

“We will ensure involvement by holding alcohol-free alternatives during weekends and getting other clubs and associations on campus involved,” Thelen said.