300 people run Fr. Ted's 5K

More than 300 students, faculty and South Bend citizens laced up their tennis shoes and stretched their legs yesterday morning in preparation for the seventh annual Fr. Ted’s 10K. 

Melissa Lindley, the race director, said the TRiO Upward Bound Program put on the race. TRiO is a scholarship program at Notre Dame for low-income and first-generation college-bound youth. According to the TRiO website, participants could run a 5K or 10K, decide to do the family fun walk or “fitness” walk. All donations from the race supported TRiO’s students, Lindley said. 

“Fr. Ted’s 10K is more than just a run … it is an investment in our community,” Lindley said.  “I think it’s unique as well because our students are involved in the event, so the runners can see who they are there supporting. Most of us call Notre Dame and South Bend home, and this race funds scholarships for South Bend youth to go to college. These kids are the future of our community.”

Sophomore Olivia Fernandes said she ran the race for the second time this year because she loves the cause. 

“The proceeds go to TRiO Upward Bound in South Bend … I volunteer at a local elementary school here in South Bend, and equality of education is important to me, so the cause really resonates,” Fernandes said. 

Lindley said University President Emeritus Fr. Theodore Hesburgh brought TRiO programs to Notre Dame in the 1960s as a part of his fight against poverty. She said he used to come speak at the event, but as years have passed he now tapes a video for the participants. She said the race was, however, still well attended and enjoyed.  

Fernandes said despite bad weather, the race turned out well. 

“The trail consists of two three-mile laps around campus. The best part of the race is by far the supporters all along the way,” Fernandes said. “It was quite windy, but the high school students’ enthusiasm rocked. Their inspirational signs got me going, and the bagpipes player was legit. Hard not to smile at all the support.” 

“We were very satisfied with this year’s event … with 300 pre-registered participants and some great personal and corporate sponsorships, we will be able to fund our student scholarships, and that is the number one priority,” Lindley said. “A big thank you to Notre Dame students who consistently come out and support Fr. Ted’s 10K.”