Belles drop doubleheader to Trine

As the end of the season draws near for Saint Mary’s, the Belles lost both ends of a doubleheader against Trine on Wednesday.

Saint Mary's sophomore outfielder Sarah Callis swings at a pitch during the Belles' 3-2 over Adrian on April 19.
In the first matchup, the Belles (15-15, 5-9) were shut out 10-0, as the game was stopped after six innings by mercy rule. Trine (33-2, 16-0) was led by junior pitcher Bree Fuller, who threw a perfect game, striking out eight batters and retiring every Belles batter, including the final three batters for the Belles by strikeout. Saint Mary’s senior captain and pitcher Callie Selner allowed 11 hits and 10 runs, but it was not until the fourth inning that Trine, leading by one at the time, opened the game up, scoring three runs on two errors by the Belles. Junior third baseman Rachel Harris, junior outfielder Leah Hall and freshman catcher Catherine Porter led the way offensively for the Thunder, combining to total seven RBI.

Selner received her seventh loss on the season, giving up six earned runs, walked four batters and gave up a home run. In the second game of the day, the Belles lost 7-3, but they improved offensively, recording eight hits. Sophomore catcher Jillian Busfield led the way for Saint Mary’s, going 2-2 at the plate and batting in a run while also scoring a run herself. Defensively, however, the Belles gave up another 11 hits to Trine. Sophomore pitcher Sarah Burke took the loss, giving up four earned runs, five hits and three home runs on two innings of pitching. Selner took the mound in the third inning with one out and allowed two runs on six hits. Harris and Porter led the way for the Thunder again, both hitting home runs.

As Selner approaches the end of her career with the Belles, Saint Mary’s prepares to end the season against Alma on Saturday. Last season, the Belles were swept by Alma (14-14, 7-7), losing 2-0 and 6-0. This season, the Belles will have to contain junior Devan Olah, who leads Alma in batting average with .459, as well as 15 RBI and a homerun.

The Belles will close the 2014 season with a doubleheader at home against Alma on Saturday at Saint Mary’s softball field at 2 p.m.