Belles trump Bethal, 7-2, in conference match

The Belles returned to winning ways yesterday with a convincing 7-2 win over local rival Bethel. The Belles (7-5, 2-1 MIAA) began strongly in the doubles, winning two of three matches.

The sophomore pairing of Margaret Faller and Andrea Fetters led the way with an 8-3 victory, and this was quickly followed by another convincing 8-1 win from freshman Sam Setterblad and junior Shannon Elliott.

Unfortunately, senior Mary Catherine Faller and junior Kayle Sexton were edged out of a close game, losing 9-7 after going up 7-6.

Mary Catherine Faller also ended up on the losing end of an intense singles match, just falling short 10-6 in the super tiebreaker. However, St Mary’s were able to pull off five other singles wins.

Again, Margaret Faller and Fetters led the way, both with comfortable 6-2, 6-2 victories.

Elliot continued the winning streak with a 7-5, 6-2 win in the fourth singles match while Sexton overcame a second-set deficit to win 6-3, 6-4.

In a similar fashion, junior Jackie Kjollede, who was trailing in the first set, came back to win her match in another super tiebreaker (10-5).

The Belles hope to continue in this form in their senior day conference match against Alma at 1 p.m. on Saturday