ND travels to Hayes Invitational

The Irish will stay in Indiana this weekend for the Billy Hayes Invitational in Bloomington, hosted by Indiana University. Coming off a strong performance at the Drake Relays, most of the Notre Dame squad will aim to maintain momentum through the middle of this outdoor season, while some athletes will remain at home to rest.

Irish junior sprinter Jade Barber strides towards the finish line during the Notre Dame Invitational on Jan. 25.
Irish junior sprinter Kaila Barber strides towards the finish line during the Notre Dame Invitational on Jan. 25.
Freshman sprinter Harvey Smith is one of the athletes in this second group, using the time off to recover after a tough couple of weeks.

“We have been going hard lately at ACCs and Drake, so everybody needs this week to recover,” Smith said.

Smith said the Irish will approach this weekend’s events with a larger purpose than just placing first.

“The people that are going will be looking to make qualifying standards that will make regionals in a couple of weeks,” Smith said.

With NCAA preliminary meets less than a month away, Smith said these qualifying times are the ultimate focus for the coaches and athletes, with the chance to qualify for the NCAA championships, held this year in Eugene, Ore., on the line.

After traveling every weekend since early February when Notre Dame hosted the Meyo Invitational, the team has bonded more than ever, Smith said.

“Everyone is still in good spirits, and nothing has changed there,” he said.  “We are becoming closer with all of the travelling we have been doing as of late.”

Last weekend at the Drake Relays, Jade Barber ran a personal best in the 100m hurdles with a time of 12.97, and the women won the 4x200 relay with a time of 1:34.54. The men’s 4x400 relay team ran its fastest time of the season, finishing in 3:05.94.

After the Billy Hayes Invitational, the Irish have one weekend off before the NCAA regional meet. For now, the squad’s immediate focus will turn to this weekend’s events in Bloomington, which kick off Friday afternoon.