Selner takes mound against Anderson

The Belles will play their second doubleheader of the week as they square off with Anderson tomorrow. After being swept by Carthage on Tuesday, the Belles (8-6) look to get back to the form that recently helped them win six games in a row.

Senior pitcher Callie Selner delivers a pitch March 28, 2013 against Defiance. Selner leads the Belles with a 2.62 ERA this season and will return to the mound today.

Senior pitcher Callie Selner continues to lead the way for the Belles with her 2.62 ERA on the mound and a .382 batting average at the plate. Selner suffered a loss in her most recent outing but still sports a 5-3 record on the year.

After Selner, the Belles get most of their production from their young infield. Freshman shortstop Caitlin Migawa, sophomore first baseman Jillian Busfield, sophomore second baseman Angela Dainelli and sophomore third baseman Kayla Chapman are the only four members of the team to start all 14 games, and the group boasts four of the top five batting averages on the team.

Busfield leads the team offensively, hitting a team-high .392, with four doubles and the Belles’ lone home run. She also tallied three of the team’s six hits in their doubleheader against Carthage. Meanwhile, Dainelli has stolen three bases this season to go along with five RBI while Migawa and Chapman are both hitting over .300 for the year.

The Belles will be looking to get wins against an Anderson squad that has won ten straight to push its record to 11-2.

Anderson is led by the pitching of sophomores Sami Frazier and Hannah Belvo. Frazier is 5-2 on the season with a 1.52 ERA and 40 strikeouts while Belvo has yet to drop a decision, posting a 3-0 record to go with her 2.28 ERA.

At the plate, Anderson’s leading hitters are sophomore Katie McCool and freshman Shelby Shaffer. McCool is hitting .538 with 4 RBI and Shaffer has filled up the stat sheet. She has a .415 batting average to go along with her seven RBI and nine stolen bases.

Selner will pitch against Frazier in the day’s first game, which starts at 3:30. The second game will feature the Belles’ sophomore pitcher Sarah Burke against Belvo. Both games will be played at Saint Mary’s College Softball field.