SMC to host ethnic commencement

This Sunday, Saint Mary’s Student Involvement and Multicultural Services (SIMC) will host the seventh annual Multiethnic Commencement Celebration for 15 multicultural students of the Saint Mary’s class of 2014.

Saint Mary’s alumna and Rolls-Royce legal counsel Angela McDonald-Fisher will speak at the celebration.

According to a press release, McDonald-Fisher “joined Rolls-Royce North America Inc. in Indianapolis in April 2006. She is legal counsel for the Supply Management organization for the Aerospace, Marine and Energy divisions in North America as well as for Aero Engine Controls, a joint venture between Rolls-Royce and Goodrich.”

Director of SIMS Stephanie Steward-Bridges said in the press release McDonald-Fisher will have a powerful message for the young women attending the celebration.

“I look forward to hearing from Angela,” Steward-Bridges said. “I know she has a passion for encouraging young women to reach their full potential, so I’m certain her message will be one of hope and inspiration.

Senior Carolina Tapia said she is excited to hear McDonald-Fisher’s speech.

“I know her personally from the work we did together on the Alumnae board,” Tapia said. “We worked together in the Alumnae Engagement Committee. She is helpful and easy to talk to. She tells you information straightforward, and you can tell she genuinely cares about the school.”

Senior Shanlynn Bias said the choice of speaker continues the College’s efforts to provide students with advice and perspectives on future opportunities.

“The SIMS office has been a wonderful support system to me these past four years by surrounding me with individuals who truly care about my future,” Bias said in the press release.  “I look forward to learning about this alumna’s journey and how I can better myself to overcome adversity and be the best I can be.”

The event will take place Sunday at 6:30 p.m. in the Student Center Lounge. The event is not open to the public, but media are welcome to cover the event, according to the press release.