Students run 5k to fight homelessness

A group of Saint Mary’s students, faculty and administrators participated in the Homeward Bound 5K for St. Joseph County on Saturday. The Homeward Bound run/walk contributed to local organizations to fight homelessness and provide housing. Saint Mary’s Student Government Sssociation (SGA), organized a group of more than 40 members of the Saint Mary’s community to participate in the event. Saint Mary’s senior Kat Sullivan, who organized the event, said it was fun to dress up as superheroes and help local organizations. “We’re supposed to represent the superheroes of South Bend, the organizations that really give back to the community, so we were representing Center for the Homeless and Hannah’s House, so all the funds that we raised will go to those organizations,” Sullivan said. Duane Wilson, chair of Homeward Bound for St. Joseph County, said this is the seventh annual Homeward Bound 5K in St. Joseph County and the third year the Robinson Community Learning Center has hosted the event. “The Homeward Bound 5K is to bring awareness and raise funds for affordable housing and to support the homeless,” Wilson said. “Last year we raised $16,000 and [the money] gets divided up between five agencies that support the needs of homelessness, specifically Bridges out of Poverty, Habitat for Humanity, Hannah’s House, Center for the Homeless, Hope Ministries and the Robinson Community Learning Center.” First year student Elizabeth Chandler said she had a great time participating in the race with her friends and was happy she could contribute to helping Hannah’s House and Center for the Homeless. “The Homeward Bound was my first 5K I’ve ever done, and it felt so great knowing I not only completed this race, but I also helped fight homelessness and poverty,” Chandler said. “It was a really rewarding experience”. First year student Maureen Daday dressed up as Batman. “I thought the atmosphere was awesome because everyone was so excited to help the local organizations in South Bend,” Daday said. “People from Saint Mary’s really wanted to help out, and it was cool seeing all the students come together and run for a good cause, I will definitely participate in the Homeward Bound next year.” Bethel College, Notre Dame, Holy Cross and Saint Mary’s were asked to form groups for the event. Senior Kat Sullivan said that participating in events that benefit local organizations have made her realize how important it is to give back to the community. “I see firsthand what the Center can do for the South Bend community by working with the guests at the Center for the Homeless, so I realize how important events like the Homeward Bound 5K are,” Sullivan said. “… These organizations do so much for the South Bend community, and it’s important for us to give back.”