DaVaris Daniels, Jerian Grant readmitted to Notre Dame

Receiver DaVaris Daniels and guard Jerian Grant have been readmitted to Notre Dame, the University announced Wednesday.

Both players were suspended for the spring semester for academic reasons.

“The University recently granted readmission to a group of individuals, and that group included student-athletes Jerian Grant and DaVaris Daniels,” a university spokesperson said via e-mail Wednesday. “Both will return to Notre Dame beginning with summer school next month.”

Irish head coach Brian Kelly recently told reporters that Notre Dame’s readmission board met May 15 to review Daniels’ case.

Before the start of spring practice, Kelly discussed Daniels’ potential path back to the team.

“His situation was that he's not ineligible by NCAA standards,” Kelly said Feb. 28. “This is an academic situation within the university. … As long as he takes care of the admissions process and getting back and he's readmitted, he'll be back here this summer. Now, he's got to take summer school when he gets back here and he's got to get his classes taken care of, and as long as he takes care of his classes this summer, he'll be eligible for all the games next year.”

DaVaris Daniels
Observer File Photo
Daniels is Notre Dame’s leading returning receiver. The 6-foot-1.5, 203-pounder, who trailed only TJ Jones in most receiving categories last season, hauled in 49 receptions for 745 yards and seven touchdowns in 2013.

No other returning player on the Irish squad has more than 17 career receptions. Daniels has tallied 80 career catches for 1,235 yards.

Grant, meanwhile, released a statement that he was no longer a part of the basketball program in December. Grant said he would not be enrolled at the university for the remainder of the 2013-14 school year due to “an academic matter that I did not handle properly.”

“I take full responsibility for my lack of good judgment and the poor decision that I made,” Grant said in the statement. “I have no one to blame but myself for the situation. I know and understand the expectations that go with being a student at Notre Dame, and I did not live up to those standards.”

In the 12 games before the announcement, Grant led the team with 19.0 points and 6.2 assists per game. Grant, who was one of just five players on the Preseason All-ACC Team, declared his intention to return to the school and the team as soon as possible following the spring semester.