SMC hosts Bethel to open season

Saint Mary’s midfielder Maggie McLaughlin wards off defenders during the Belles’  4-1 victory over Illinois Tech on Sept. 2. McLaughlin started 19 games for the Belles in 2013.
Observer File Photo
Saint Mary’s midfielder Maggie McLaughlin wards off defenders during the Belles’ 4-1 victory over Illinois Tech on Sept. 2. McLaughlin started 19 games for the Belles in 2013.
Saint Mary’s opens up its season at home Friday at 5 p.m., when they face cross-town foe Bethel College. The Belles, ranked 4th in the MIAA preseason coaches poll, look to secure victory against the Pilots in a non-conference match-up.

The Pilots (0-1-0) ended last season with a 7-9-1 mark, and started off this season with a 7-3 loss to Trinity International University. Bethel's match against the Belles is their only away game until Sept. 12. Last season, the Pilots emerged victorious over Saint Mary's in a 1-0 decision.

After posting a 10-7-3 record in 2013, Saint Mary’s hopes to continue their streak of three consecutive seasons of 10 wins or more. The Saint Mary’s defense was well represented on the all-MIAA first team last year as goalkeeper Chanler Rosenbaum, defenders Kerry Green and Mary Kate Hussey, all seniors, were first team selections. These seniors, along with six other seniors and three juniors, will form the backbone of the Belles' veteran squad.

On Sunday, Saint Mary's will conclude its opening weekend with a matchup against Mount St Joseph's. The Lions finished with a 4-14-1 record last season and start this season with three games in three days, concluding with the Belles. It will mark the first time the two squads have met in Saint Mary's history.