Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Brian Kelly on academic hearing timelines, injuries, Stanford

Irish head coach Brian Kelly said he does not know the specifics and timeframe of the hearings and decision process for the five players withheld from practice and competition.

“I think my wife asked me. She did. I really don’t know,” Kelly said at his weekly Tuesday teleconference.“I have no idea what the process is, other than what a couple players have informed me of relative to the hearing taking place this week.”

Kelly said he has no knowledge of when a decision will be levied.

20140913, 2014-2015, 20140913, Brian Kelly, By Michael Yu, Football, Lucas Oil Stadium, Purdue, Shamrock Series, Sheldon Day, Win 30-14
Michael Yu | The Observer
Michael Yu | The Observer
Irish junior cornerback KeiVarae Russell, senior receiver DaVaris Daniels, senior defensive end Ishaq Williams, graduate student linebacker Kendall Moore and senior safety Eilar Hardy have been held out of practice and competition during the probe into “suspected academic dishonesty.”

Notre Dame announced its investigation Aug. 15. The University said “evidence that students had submitted papers and homework that had been written for them by others” was initially detected at the end of the summer session and referred to the compliance office in athletics July 29. Notre Dame said the Office of General Counsel then initiated “an immediate investigation.”

As outlined in the Honor Code, students “under suspicion” of possible violations shall be informed they can bring members of the University community to the hearing for support and/or to serve as witnesses.

Kelly declined to reveal if any of the five players have asked him to appear on their behalf this week.

“I’d rather not get into the specifics,” Kelly said. “I think that’s between me and the players.” If players were to be reinstated to the team, Kelly did not rule out their availability for Saturday’s game against Stanford.

“Certainly they wouldn’t be able to play 40, 50 plays, but I think it would be more about picking up the game plan now,” Kelly said.

Injury updates

20140906, 2014-2015, 20140906, by Zach Llorens, Football, michigan, Notre Dame Stadium, Win 31-0
Zach Llorens | The Observer
Irish senior receiver Amir Carlisle, who suffered an MCL injury against Purdue and missed the Syracuse game, was slated to practice Tuesday, Kelly said.

“I think we’re all very surprised where he is today,” Kelly said.

Carlisle is cleared for “everything,” and Kelly said he’ll only hold the senior out of one-on-work at Tuesday’s practice.

Kelly said Carlisle, who is listed again as the starting slot receiver on this week’s depth chart, will receive 50 percent of his normal reps Tuesday.

“Then I’ll have a good sense after today where we are with him,” Kelly said.

Kelly said he expects Irish graduate student safety and captain Austin Collinsworth (MCL) “could help us this weekend.” Collinsworth was in uniform Saturday at MetLife Stadium but did not play.

Irish senior linebacker Jarrett Grace (leg) is a “day-to-day” situation, Kelly said, and the head coach doesn’t believe the trainers could pinpoint the day during which he’ll break through.

Stanford’s stonewall

Stanford ranks first nationally in scoring defense, total defense and passing defense despite losing defensive coordinator Derek Mason (now the head coach at Vanderbilt) and defensive stalwarts Trent Murphy, Shayne Skov and Ed Reynolds to the professional ranks.

“[Stanford head coach] David Shaw has obviously maintained that kind of continuity in terms of scheme,” Kelly said. “They’re playing with veteran players. They know how to win. It’s a winning program.”

The Cardinal defense has pitched two shutouts and allowed just 13 points in each of its other two games this season. Stanford has only allowed two offensive touchdowns to its opponents.

“[It’s] just a really good defense across the board, and I think it starts with the corners,” Kelly said.

Powered on the perimeter by junior cornerback Alex Carter and senior cornerback Wayne Lyons, Stanford has surrendered just four plays of 20 or more yards this season, the second-fewest in the FBS.

“We won’t win if we don’t get big chunk plays,” Kelly said. “We’re not gonna go five, seven and 10 yards and score enough points to win.”