Notebook: Kelly on Heisman chatter, Shumate, Shamrock Series and the zone read

Irish head coach Brian Kelly held his weekly Tuesday press conference with the media heading into Notre Dame’s matchup with Purdue on Saturday at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.

Here is an assortment of quick-hitting thoughts:

Everett Golson Heisman chatter

Kelly faced his first Heisman Trophy question of the season Saturday night following Notre Dame’s 31-0 win over Michigan. Through two games, Irish senior quarterback Everett Golson has completed 37 of 56 passes (66.1 percent) for 521 yards, five touchdowns and zero interceptions.

Golson’s odds to win the Heisman, per Bovada, are 16/1, seventh-best in the nation behind Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota, Georgia running back Todd Gurley, Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston, Texas A&M quarterback Kenny Hill, UCLA quarterback Brett Hundley and Oklahoma quarterback Trevor Knight.

“We know it’s game two, and there is so much time here that he knows, we know, that there is a lot of work left,” Kelly said Tuesday. “We can’t control what other people are going to think. We know internally, so we’ve got a lot of work to do. If you want to put his name on the list, that’s fine.”

Shumate stepping up

In his second start since stepping in for injured graduate student safety Austin Collinsworth, junior safety Elijah Shumate exploded for a career-high 10 tackles and an interception against the Wolverines.

“He made progress [from the Rice game]. There is no question,” Kelly said. “I think this was probably the best game that he’s played since he’s been here. … I want to temper it by saying there is still some growth there that needs to take place. What he did that he hasn’t been doing is he communicated so much more effectively outside of what his normal comfort level is.”

Shamrock Series

For the sixth consecutive season, Notre Dame will host an off-site home game, dubbed the “Shamrock Series.” The Irish traveled to San Antonio in 2009 to face Washington State, squared off with Army in New York City in 2010, topped Maryland in Washington, D.C., in 2011, beat Miami in 2012 in Chicago and defeated Arizona State in 2013 at AT&T Stadium in North Texas.

“My initial impression [when I was hired] was why would you give up a home game, but I really didn’t understand the implications of the Shamrock Series and really what it meant,” Kelly said. “I think it’s been really good for us because it gets us into some geographical areas that make sense.”

Golson running the zone read

Through two games, Golson has logged 15 rushes for 27 yards and three touchdowns.

“He’s a dynamic passer, but we have to be able to run him as well,” Kelly said.

Golson notched just three carries against Michigan. Kelly, however, cited Michigan’s prevalence of man coverage against the Irish and said Golson’s running will change from week to week. As it relates to the zone read, Kelly said if there is any doubt regarding the defense, Golson is instructed to “give it out” to the running back. If the defense shows a radical look, Golson is going to keep it, Kelly said.