Belles defeat rival Calvin after early first half goals

Results for the Saint Mary’s soccer team were mixed over fall break, with the Belles earning a win, a loss and a tie.

The week started strong for the Belles (6-10-2, 4-8-2 MIAA), as they beat Calvin (6-9-2, 5-7-2) on Oct. 18, 2-1.

Saint Mary’s took the lead in the first two minutes when sophomore midfielder Jenn Jarmy rounded the Knights’ keeper and kicked the ball inside the right goal post. Calvin soon evened the score, but senior defender and captain Mary Kate Hussey headed a corner kick from sophomore defender Emily Rompola for what proved to be the winning goal.

The Belles’ lead was threatened numerous times, with the Knights taking a total of 18 shots, but senior goalkeeper Chanler Rosenbaum’s eight saves allowed them to come out of the game with the victory.

Success for Saint Mary’s continued with the announcement on Monday that Jenn Jarmy had been named MIAA Offensive Player of the Week after scoring against both Calvin and Alma, but this run was stopped by a 2-0 home defeat to Hope (13-3-1, 12-1-1).

The Belles were again able to ward off many of the away team’s attacks, with Rosenbaum making 11 saves in this game, but they were ultimately defeated by two set-pieces from the Flying Dutch, as a 19th minute shot off a corner kick and a header off a free kick in the 68th minute both beat Rosenbaum.

The Belles did have their share of chances, including near shots from Rompola and Jarmy that could have given Saint Mary’s a lead inside the first three minutes. The opportunities became less frequent in the second half as the Flying Dutch closed out the game.

The week for Saint Mary’s ended with a 0-0 double overtime result at Albion.

Hussey shot over the bar early on, and sophomore forward Liza Felix had a shot that went wide in the 28th minute, while Rosenbaum made saves in the 40th and 67th minutes, but neither side was able to break the deadlock, even after two overtime periods.

Following a 2-0 loss to Olivet on Tuesday, the Belles face Adrian on Saturday for senior night and their final home game.