Fall in love with fall

I noticed something different this morning as I walked across South Quad. For the first time this semester, the breeze in the air was unmistakably fall. Although fall technically began on September 22, the shorter days and changing colors are just starting to reach Notre Dame. Some people on campus (especially those in dorms that lack air conditioning) rejoice at the prospect of cooler days. Others are quick to lament the end of summer.

As for me, I can’t help but be excited that fall officially has begun. While it might mean chilly weather, there’s plenty to get excited about now that fall has arrived on campus.

Leaves

The bright, crisp days of fall are some of the most beautiful of the year. I dread the impending doom of the permacloud that dominates the South Bend skies from November to April. This makes it all the more important to enjoy the fall weather while we still can. Go for long walks and take as many pictures of campus as you can. You’ll thank me in a few months when leaving your dorm room for longer than five minutes could mean frostbite.

Pumpkins

Everyone’s familiar with the hype surrounding the unofficial start of fall when Starbucks re-introduces its seasonal Pumpkin Spice Latte. I prefer Waddick’s Pumpkin Spice brew, but there’s something about that warm scent of pumpkin and cinnamon – no matter where you get it – that makes an early morning class just a little bit more bearable.

Football

I know football season starts in summer. But I believe it’s the crisp weather, cozy Notre Dame sweatshirts and color on the trees that really makes it feel like a football Saturday. After three weekends without a home game, I don’t think I’m alone in welcoming the first home football Saturday of fall with open arms.

Halloween

Coming up with the perfect Halloween costume is an art (one that I’m not very good at). Some people spend months crafting the perfect disguise. Others run to the costume shop on October 30th to grab whatever’s left on the shelf. Whichever method you prefer, it’s fun to be someone (or something) completely different from the studious college student you are the other 364 days of the year. The candy isn’t a bad bonus either.

As the days get shorter and the nights get colder, it’s time to put away those flip-flops and shorts and dig your favorite sweaters, flannels and boots out from the back of your closet. It’s time to trade that iced mocha for hot chocolate. It's time to trade that cold ice cream for a warm apple pie. It’s time to fall in love with fall.