Historical Perspective: Florida State Week
Mike Monaco | Thursday, October 16, 2014
- Notre Dame and Florida State are meeting for the eight time. The Seminoles have won five of the previous seven matchups.
- The Seminoles came from behind in the 2011 Champs Sports Bowl to top the Irish, 18-14. Florida State scored 18 unanswered points, including 15 in the fourth quarter.
- No. 5 Florida State demolished Notre Dame, 37-0, in South Bend in 2003, the last regular-season meeting between the two schools. Seminoles quarterback Chris Rix threw for 327 yards, three touchdowns and three interceptions.
- In the only meeting between the teams in Tallahassee, No. 6 Notre Dame took down No. 11 Florida State, 34-24, in 2002. The Irish led 34-10 until the final minutes.
- The No. 8 Seminoles won the 1996 Orange Bowl, 31-26.
- In 1993 in what was dubbed “The Game of the Century,” No. 2 Notre Dame downed No. 1 Florida State, 31-24, at Notre Dame Stadium.
- Former Irish receiver Derek Mayes hauled in six receptions for 96 yards and two touchdowns in the 1996 Orange Bowl.
- Lee Becton rushed for 122 yards on 26 carries in the 1993 Irish victory.