Historical Perspective: North Carolina Week
Mike Monaco | Thursday, October 9, 2014
- Notre Dame has won 16 of the 18 previous meetings with North Carolina.
- No. 22 North Carolina’s 29-24 win over the Irish in 2008 snapped Notre Dame’s six-game winning streak in the series (dating back to 1962).
- The teams first met in 1949 at Yankee Stadium, where No. 1 Notre Dame pounded the Tar Heels, 42-6. The Irish would go on to win the national championship.
- One team — but never both — has been ranked in each of the last six meetings.
- The only time both teams were ranked was in 1950, when the No. 1 Irish topped the No. 20 Tar Heels, 14-7.
- The last time the teams met in South Bend, No. 11 Notre Dame rolled to a 45-26 victory behind Brady Quinn’s 346 passing yards and four touchdowns.
- In the 2006 win over North Carolina, Irish wide receiver Jeff Samardzija hauled in six receptions for 177 yards and one touchdown.