Historical Perspective: Stanford
Mike Monaco | Thursday, October 2, 2014
- Notre Dame leads the all-time series with Stanford, 18-10. The Cardinal, however, has won four of the last five meetings.
- Notre Dame and Stanford have met nearly every since 1988 — except 1995 and 1996.
- Saturday marks the fourth consecutive year in which both teams are ranked when they square off. Prior to 2011, only the 1992 matchup (No. 7 Notre Dame lost to No. 19 Stanford) featured both teams in the top 25. The Cardinal topped the Irish, 33-16, at Notre Dame Stadium in 1992.
- In 10 consecutive clashes between 1964 and 1998, Notre Dame was ranked in all but one (1997) meeting.
- In 2012, No. 7 Notre Dame defeated No. 17 Stanford, 20-13, in overtime at Notre Dame Stadium thanks to a goal-line stand.
- In Notre Dame’s 57-7 demolition of Stanford in 2003, former Irish running back Julius Jones rushed for 218 yards on 23 carries.
- Former Irish receiver Golden Tate hauled in 10 receptions for 201 yards and three touchdowns in Notre Dame’s 45-38 to the Cardinal in 2009.