SMC preps for match with Trine

Belles junior defender Lindsay Rzepecki dribbles past an opponent during a 1-0 home loss against Alma on Oct. 16.
Observer File Photo
Observer File Photo
Coming off a double overtime tie against Adrian on Tuesday, Saint Mary’s hopes to defend its home turf as the Belles play Trine. This match will mark the halfway point in both Saint Mary’s and Trine’s MIAA conference schedules.

Belles coach Michael Joyce said that during this week’s practices, the Belles (3-7-1, 1-5-1 MIAA) focused on offensive improvements. Throughout the season, Saint Mary’s has allowed a total of 19 goals and scored only 10.

“We're working on becoming much more effective offensively over the next couple of days,” Joyce said. “We haven't made the most of our opportunities recently, and I think that is something that has had a major effect on our performance in our past couple of games.”

Although the game against Adrian (4-5-2, 3-4-1) resulted in a tie, the Belles gave up only one goal and controlled possession throughout the game. Joyce said he considered the game a step in the right direction for Saint Mary’s and hopes the team can continue this type of play throughout the rest of the season.

“The only challenge for Saturday is making sure that we play as well, if not better than we did on Tuesday against Adrian,” Joyce said. “If we play like that, we will have no foreseeable problems, and all should go smoothly.”

But a strong Thunder defense will challenge the Belles, who are averaging less than a goal per game despite firing 11.6 shots on average. Senior midfielder Erin Mishu leads the Belles in goals (3) and points.

“They are very stout defensively, so we'll just have to work hard to put the ball in the net and take complete control of the ball,” Joyce said.

Trine (4-4-1, 2-3-1) is in seventh place out of nine in the MIAA, and the Belles are in last place. The Belles defeated Trine last season in a 1-0 double overtime victory on Oct. 4 and added a dominant 5-0 win at home on Nov. 6.

The Belles will face the Thunder at 12 p.m. on Saturday at Saint Mary’s soccer field.