SMC students stand up to cancer

Last week, the Saint Mary's Stand Up to Cancer club sold T-shirts as a fundraiser for the national organization "Stand Up to Cancer" as the first of many events the club will host throughout the year to reach their fundraising goal.

1464029_680517491989066_1377483593_n (1)
Photo courtesy of Christina Hutch
Senior and club president Christie Hutch said the club's mission is to host events that will raise awareness and funds for cancer research.

“This organization is unique because it gives 100 percent of donations to the best and brightest scientists in order to accelerate the pace of groundbreaking research that can save lives," Hutch said. "This is an important issue now more than ever since government funding for cancer research is diminished, and yet cancer takes one person's life every minute."

Hutch said the club brings students of Saint Mary's and community members together, united behind a single and very important cause with hopes to find a cure.

“[Our] events, fundraisers and projects each year ... have been very successful so far,” she said. “All of the money we raise is sent directly to Stand Up to Cancer at the end of each year.”

The club volunteers at Memorial Hospital in South Bend and holds an annual dinner-dance specifically for cancer patients and survivors in the community, she said.

Hutch said last year the club dedicated a ribbon tree in the Student Center for students and guests to tie a colored ribbon in remembrance of or support for someone who has had cancer.

The club's T-shirt sales this past week were in preparation for one of their biggest fundraisers, the third annual SMC Stands Up to Cancer Pink Party Zumbathon, she said.

“We are able to raise funds and awareness for all types of cancer through this awesome organization,” Hutch said. “Everyone knows someone who has been affected by cancer, and that is who we’ll be dancing for. We are excited to share this experience with the community again this year.

“This event unites students with community members from South Bend, Mishawaka and Granger to dance for a cure."

Hutch said student dance groups, including the SMC Dance Team, Troop ND, P Fresh and the Irish Dance Team, as well as the student a capella group Bellacapella, will perform.

The event will feature more than 20 local Zumba instructors who will take turns teaching, according to a press release.

Nursing major and sophomore Megan Tobin said she is going to attend the event to support people she knows who have battled cancer and her fellow Belles who have been affected by the disease.

“I have witnessed family members as well as close friends battle cancer, so I want to do anything I can to support them,” Tobin said.

"Not only are we able to be there for those battling, but we get to have fun and get a great workout out of it,” Tobin said. “I think it also gives people incentive to go. Before the event they think it’s just going to be a fun dance class, but after, they realize they were a part of something much bigger than that."

Sophomore Katherine Kingsbury said it’s important for the Saint Mary’s community to be aware and involved in the South Bend community, especially because it’s sometimes the small things that make the biggest impact in someone’s life.

“I’m excited that I can support my community in such a fun and engaging way,” Kingsbury said.

The Zumbathon will take place November 1 from 5:30-8:30 p.m. in Angela Athletic Facility. The public is invited to take part and no prior Zumba experience is necessary. Those attending are encouraged to wear pink and dance.

Tickets can be purchased ahead of time through participating Zumba instructors or at Tu Sei Bella Fitness Studio in Toscana Park in Granger, Indiana. All profits will benefit Stand Up to Cancer in support of cancer research.