Badin Hall hosts art show

Badin Hall’s signature event, the Badin Hall Art Show, provides an opportunity to see the wide variety of talent Notre Dame students have to offer by showcasing the original artwork of students across campus.

The showcase begins Thursday evening and is Badin Hall's yearly fall event.

“It’s an annual event that we do, and the artwork is on display for a week, but opening night we have a nice event with food and music,” sophomore Kelly Berger, one of the academic commissioners coordinating the show, said.

Sophomore and academic commissioner Meghan Grojean said the show is a way for the dorm to feature the creative abilities of Notre Dame students.

“It is a chance to view and appreciate other Notre Dame students' artwork, and there’s a lot of talented people,” Grojean said.

Berger said the show often displays talent that might otherwise have been unknown.

“The focus is often on academics, so this is a good chance see a different side of people’s talents that you might not know about,” Berger said. “I know people in our dorm submitted art last year who are not necessarily art majors, but they’re really talented, and it’s really cool to see that.”

Sophomore and academic commissioner Elisa Herrman, said the signature event has a different focus than other dorm events.

“I don’t think anyone else has something like an art show,” Herrman said.

Grojean said the show is a way for Badin Hall to incorporate the art department into a campus event involving all students.

“It brings artwork out of Reilly and into the dorm setting,” Grojean said. “We have judges from the art department that come and choose three winners and then we have prizes.”

Herrman said there are usually 15 to 30 submissions, and any kind of art can be submitted.

“There are always a few spectacular paintings where you’re like ‘wow’,” Hermann said.

Grojean said not only do students get to appreciate the art, but also the artists gain a lot form the showcase.

“I love seeing all the art pieces come in and see the artists present their work,” Grojean said. “They’re so proud of it, and a lot of it is amazing, and all of it is cool.”

The art show begins Thursday evening at 7 p.m. in the Badin Hall social space. Attendance is free, and the showcase will continue through Nov. 20.