Belles for Fitness promotes proper exercising

web_fitness_11-20-2014
Sam Coughlin
Belles for Fitness offers students an opportunity to get in shape, giving participants a combination of health and fitness training along with instilling a motivation to go to the gym.

Intended to be a team exercise program, the team serves a goal of logging at least 200 minutes of exercise per person per week. The total equates to roughly 30 minutes per day, including weekends. Each team logs its minutes into a book held at Angela Athletic Facility. The type of physical activity has no effect on the total; only the total minutes exercised count towards the goal.

Sophomore Kate Vasile, a member of Saint Mary’s soccer team, said she was interested in the team aspect of the program. Since soccer season is over, she said she misses the team workouts, but Belles for Fitness “is a great solution to working out and not having to do it [alone]." Belles for Fitness team sizes can range from two to 10 participants.

Physical education instructor Bridgette Van Schoyck Clark started the program and teamed up with junior Diana Matuszak to enhance the program even further.

“I started this program years ago when I would notice girls working out for hours at a time the two weeks leading up to spring break," Van Schoyck Clark said. "I decided we needed to do something to help the girls get into shape safely over six weeks instead of two. This program has been so popular that we decided to also add two sessions in the fall to our intramural program.”

Matuszak said she is motivated to help others reach their goals.

“I had a lot of interest in starting a club based on a healthy active life," Matuszak said. "I want everyone to feel the way that I do about health and fitness because it creates such a happy life.”

Matuszak said the club's bottom line is the importance of being healthy.

“I will be holding weekly events that teach the importance of eating healthy and exercising with weights, resistance, cardio, as well as flexibility to leave you feeling energized and self-confident,"Matuszak said. "In an effort to create healthy happy and active lives, Bridgette and I are excited to continue Belles for Fitness.”

Van Schoyck Clark and Matuszak are currently offering weekly challenges, nutrition information and a support component to keep participants involved and motivated.