Best Study Spots in South Bend

study-spots-WEB
Keri O'Mara
Keri O'Mara
Now that we’re approaching our last leg of the semester, you may be tiring just a bit of your normal study spaces on campus.

And that’s okay. As I learned in my Introduction to Psychology class as a first-semester freshman, changing where you study is actually beneficial to your learning and memory. It’s also pretty great for your sanity as finals approach and the days get shorter.

If you can take advantage of the free TRANSPO bus or even a friend with a car, try these cozy spots in South Bend if you want to switch up your study routine. It’ll be good for your brain and, oftentimes, your stomach.

Main St. Coffee House

Located on Main Street in downtown South Bend, Main St. Coffee House is an independent café with great drinks and a great community. With plenty of tables, a cozy fireplace and local art on the walls, Main St. Coffee House is a go-to study spot. Plus, if you make it over on Saturday for a marathon study session, you can start your day with an excellent breakfast panini.

Main St. Coffee House is located at 102 North Main Street, South Bend, IN

Chicory Café

Another coffee place in the heart of downtown South Bend, Chicory offers not just drinks, but delicious New Orleans-inspired fare. Grab a NOLA latte (my personal favorite) and a beignet and get to work. Be warned, however, because Chicory does have plenty of live music and weekly trivia that may make the place a bit too social for pre-test cramming, but if you can grab a wicker chair and coffee at the right time, it’s nothing but smooth studying with Cajun food at your fingertips.

Chicory Café is located at 105 E Jefferson Blvd #103, South Bend, IN

The Crêperie

Formerly known as Smoothies, Crêpes and Coffee, the brand new Crêperie offers an excellent study space with late hours perfect for hitting the books in the evening. Located inside The Emporium building next to the St. Joseph River, the café offers sweet and savory crepes, smoothies made of organic, locally-sourced ingredients and Intelligentsia Coffee. They even make their own hazelnut-chocolate spread (think Nutella), which everyone knows is the most effective studying fuel.

The Crêperie is locat at 121 S. Niles Ave., South Bend, IN

The Well

In case you haven’t kept up with our Scene in South Bend series, The Well is a volunteer, donation-based coffee shop with an emphasis on community and service. Though the coffee shop is only open Wednesdays through Fridays, the unique and welcoming environment is one you most certainly need to check out during your time in South Bend.

The Well Coffeehouse is located at 2410 W Mishawaka Ave, South Bend, IN

Purple Porch Co-Op

So, you may not want to post up in the Purple Porch as if it were the library, but a visit to the locally-sourced grocery story is a must for at least one working meal or productive coffee outing. There, you can check off any groceries from your shopping list and grab one of the best breakfast burritos I’ve ever had, along with plenty of coffee and well-lit sitting space for those dining in.

The Purple Porch Co-Op is located at 123 N. Hill St., South Bend, IN