Historical Perspective: Arizona State Week
Mike Monaco | Thursday, November 6, 2014
- Notre Dame has won each of its three meetings with Arizona State.
- The Irish toppled the No. 22 Sun Devils, 37-34, last season at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, in the Shamrock Series. Linebacker Dan Fox’s 14-yard interception return for a touchdown put Notre Dame ahead 37-27 with 1:08 remaining in the fourth quarter. The Irish racked up six sacks — three from linebacker Prince Shembo and two from defensive end Stephon Tuitt.
- In the only game between the two teams played at Notre Dame Stadium, the Irish manhandled the Sun Devils, 48-17, in 1999. The Irish fought back to .500 at 3-3 with the victory, only to finish the season 5-7. Quarterback Jarious Jackson threw for four touchdowns (on just 10 completions) and ran for another, part of a 93-yard day on the ground.
- In 1998, No. 22 Notre Dame stomped Arizona State, 28-9, in Tempe, Arizona. The Irish rumbled for 263 rushing yards on 43 carries, as Autry Denson tallied 84 yards and Joey Goodspeed accumulated 109 yards on just four rushes.
- Saturday will be the first meeting between the schools when both teams are ranked. Notre Dame is No. 10 and Arizona State ranks ninth in the College Football Playoff rankings.