O'Neill ties with playoff-bound Stanford

A nail-biting match between O’Neil and Stanford ended in a standstill Sunday.

The Griffins (2-1-1) and Angry Mob (1-2-1) closed their seasons on a 6-6 tie. The Griffins dominated much of the first part of the game, with an early touchdown scored by junior captain, receiver and linebacker Dan Babiak. Through strong defensive efforts, the Griffins held a lead until the second half.

“We put in a couple stunts this past week specifically for O’Neill, and we really just tried to shut down their running game,” Stanford lineman and sophomore Patrick McMahon said.

In the two minutes of the game, the Angry Mob offense sparked when O’Neill sophomore quarterback Kevin Smith threw freshman wide receiver and cornerback Daniel Luque a 27-yard touchdown, evening the score. An interception by Luque at the 50-second mark gave the Angry Mob further potential for an upset.

With just 34 seconds left, the Angry Mob was in possession of the ball. However, the Griffins’ defense contained their attack long enough to prevent a comeback win.

“The defense kept pulling them over and over again,” Stanford freshman quarterback Andrew Foster said.

Despite the tie, Stanford secured a spot in the playoffs. The Griffins hold the second-best record in the division, behind Keenan.

“Our offense was working well today and our defense really rallied to the ball and made some good stops," Babiak said. "I’m excited to get out and play versus the best teams [and mostly] have another chance against Keenan."

Sunday's game marked the end of their season for O'Neill. However, senior captain linebacker and running back Donghoon Lee said it was a good way to end his interhall career.

“The guys came out and they were ready to go," Lee said. "They made my senior year really worth it. We had a chance to win it at the end and that’s all I can ask for.

“It was a team effort all around. I just want to recognize the seniors that all came out and played.”

Stanford will play Fisher in the first round of the playoffs Sunday at 1 p.m. at Riehle fields.