Students react to narrow victory over Navy

20141101, 2nd Half, 25, 20141101, Football, Jodi Lo, Navy, Tarean Folston
Jodi Lo
In a game with a much closer final score than many initially predicted, Notre Dame defeated Navy with a final score of 49-39.

Irish senior quarterback Everett Golson accounted for a school-record six touchdowns – three passing, three rushing – as the Irish improved their record to 7-1.

Senior Connor Stacy said he expected the Midshipmen to play well, but knew the Irish would win.

“Navy always plays us tough,” he said. “I was pretty confident that we would pull it out in the end.”

Senior Blake Prunsky watched the game from the comfort of his own home as he celebrated his birthday with an Irish win.

“I only watched the first, second and fourth quarters, so from what I saw, the Irish played great.” he said. “Everett played like a Heisman-caliber quarterback today, and I’m confident we can win out.”

Junior Matt Castellini echoed Prunsky’s sentiment, saying he believed Golson played like a champion yesterday.

“He very much deserves to be in the Heisman conversation," he said. "Big time players make big time plays. That's what he does."

Senior Dolff Hanke said he wonders if the team’s performance was based on Navy playing well or the Irish letting up against an unranked opponent.

“I’m not sure if we sometimes play down to our opponents or it’s simply that we struggle with Navy, but we need to realize that we have the potential to beat any team in the country,” he said.

The Irish have a tough schedule ahead, with matchups against ranked Arizona State and a rivalry game with USC.

Senior Alysa Kane, who watched the game from home, said she believes the Notre Dame defense may be bringing down the team.

“The offense played like a championship-caliber team, but the defense seems to be dragging the team down in recent games,” she said.

Junior Connor Brown said he believes the game was somewhat of a snoozer.

“I fell asleep during the first half after we went up big,” he said. “I woke up, and we're losing in the third quarter."