Tuesday, March 19, 2024

'Asian Allure' explores growth of ND Asian community

The Asian American Association will hosts its annual signature performance, Asian Allure, on Friday and Saturday in the Washington Hall auditorium, junior Jen Ho, the event's director, said.

This year's theme, “There and Back Again," focuses on the Asian community at Notre Dame, Ho said.

“This theme addresses the growth of the Asian community in Notre Dame throughout the years," she said. "The production will carry the audience through a transition from the traditional to the new."

The Indian Association of Notre Dame performs a Bollywood dance at Thursday night’s rehearsal for this weekend’s Asian Allure shows.
Kevin Song | The Observer
Ho said this year’s performances are different from past years in that there will be no skits. Instead, the event will feature stories submitted by faculty, alumni and students along with dance and fashion elements.

“Each Asian club contributed a traditional dance piece,” she said. “There are more diverse individual performers who successfully auditioned for their roles in music, dance and spoken word.

"There is also a fashion show that will showcase both the traditional and modern styles of Asian culture. Though it is a production showcasing Asian culture, the cast is in fact the most diverse it has ever been in terms of age, culture and talent.”

Asian Allure aims to showcase Asian culture and better connect Notre Dame with the Asian community, Ho said.

“Asian Allure is the only event that showcases every Asian cultural club in addition to non-affiliated acts on campus in performance,” Ho said. “Each year presents a different theme to serve the purpose of better connecting ND with the Asian community through understanding of the different cultures.”

Ho said planning for Asian Allure began in July when the board began to think of ideas for the show.

“The planning process began over the summer when I was selected to be the director in the end of July,” Ho said. “The Asian Allure Board was then established, and we immediately began brainstorming ideas of what the vision of Asian Allure should be this year in contrast to past productions.”

Ho said auditions were held early in fall semester and rehearsals began shortly afterward.

“Auditions took place in late September and selected performers were notified of their participation the same week, after which we immediately began collaboration,” she said.

Ho said Asian Allure is not just put on by students for students.

“Not only are students involved, but the alumni association and faculty of ND are as well," she said. "Many visit just to watch the performance and experience the growth of the audience in numbers and diversity since their years on campus.

"Though it may only seem like a mere production, Asian Allure annually reminds Notre Dame of the special presence of the Asian community of Notre Dame and how unique each individual is. It is not only a rewarding experience to those who are involved, but also to whomever come out to watch the show.”

Asian Allure is held in collaboration with the Asian Pacific Alumni of Notre Dame, Chinese Culture Society, the Filipino American Student Organization, Indian Association of Notre Dame, Japan Club, Korean Student Association, Vietnamese Student Association, Tae Kwon Do Club, Project Fresh and individual student performers.

Tickets will be available for $7 at the LaFortune Box Office until an hour before each show. Tickets can also be purchased for $10 at the door.