Dear Farley, I'm fine

When I look at myself in the mirror in the morning, I’m not disgusted. I’ve come to terms with the features of my face that society might find less than optimal. My acne scars and I are all right, my nose is just fine as it is.

I find nothing wrong with embracing the natural beauty of every single person on this campus. I think it should be encouraged! Urging people to not “wear ANY makeup” and to “have confidence in your natural beauty!” tells me that if I wear makeup, it’s the result of a lack of confidence. The “Be Fine: 1 day without makeup” event that Farley Hall is putting on this week has everyone’s best interest at heart, I have no doubt, but it sends the wrong message to this campus.

People who choose to wear makeup don’t necessarily have low self-esteem. People who choose not to wear makeup don’t necessarily have high self-esteem. I wear makeup because I enjoy having the ability to emphasize the features on my face I want to, and I can downplay other features. I can make my makeup match my mood, and have my face reflect how I feel on the inside — be it dramatic eyeliner or an understated “natural” look.

I recognize that using makeup because you are trying to meet societal expectations could present a problem. But shaming makeup users isn’t the answer. Think of makeup as a sort of less permanent tattoo; an art form through which I can express myself every single day if I so choose.

The only person you should wear makeup for is yourself. If someone says you’re prettier with or without makeup, you don’t need to listen to them. Do it because it feels right, or makes you feel more confident. I definitely don’t wear blue and gold lipstick because I think it’s more attractive than my natural face — I wear it because it’s game day. It’s how I want to look, and I’m fine with that.

I’ll be wearing makeup on December 4th, not because I feel that I need to hide, but because I want to be wearing it. That is the only reason anyone should be wearing makeup at all.

Natalie Wozniak

senior

Lewis

Dec. 3rd