New ATMs cater to student banking needs

Two new ATMs have been installed on the lower level of LaFortune Student Center next to the computer lab, said junior Drew Carmona, Director of University Affairs for student government.

Carmona said the University and Student Government conducted a survey last year to achieve an understanding of current student banking needs.

"In the survey, most students indicated that they have a bank account established prior to arriving on campus and that a great number of students bank with large, national banks,” he said. “The University then reached out to the top three national banks and asked each to install an ATM on campus. After holding discussions, Chase and Bank of America both accepted to install one ATM each in LaFortune."

The new ATMs allow students and employees who have accounts with Chase and Bank of America to avoid non-customer ATM fees, Carmona said.

“With the addition of these new ATMs, the University now offers a total of four different options for individuals needing ATM services,” he said. “Placing these in LaFortune is the most central and highly-trafficked area so it offers the most convenience to both students and employees.”

Carmona said the University and student government will continue discussing possible locations for more ATMs.

“As campus continues to expand, student government and the University will continue to discuss new locations for more ATMs in order to fulfill the needs of the student body and University employees,” Carmona said.