Tell their story with "Show Some Skin"

Like many of you, we have sat in the audience at a "Show Some Skin" performance, and we know first-hand how powerful it can be. Both of us were inspired to get involved in the show, so we auditioned to be actors.

For those who have not seen it, "Show Some Skin" is a performance of anonymously submitted monologues about identity and difference. The purpose and mission of "Show Some Skin" is to give voice to the unspoken stories that exist on this campus. It cannot be done without the bravery and open-heartedness of the actors.

The opportunity to act in the "Show Some Skin" performance was one of the most life-changing and memorable moments of our Notre Dame experience. I would like to share the stories of myself and our director, Lucas Garcia, in the hopes that you will take a leap of faith and participate in this project.

Three years ago I never knew that I would become producer of "Show Some Skin." I auditioned for "Show Some Skin" in my sophomore year because I felt lost. I no longer could find a sense of purpose in the work that I did and I was trying to understand who I was at Notre Dame. In the spring of 2013 I joined a cast of 20 actors who, in their own ways, were passionate about making a difference in regards to issues of diversity and inclusivity. I received two monologues and for six straight weeks, I pored over them. While I may never know who wrote the monologues, I tried to understand my writers. They taught me about what it feels like to be ignored, different and scared to be one’s self in ways that I experience in my own life and in ways that I do not. Even now, I think about their stories, and they stay with me. Performing in "Show Some Skin" was a unique experience that I am grateful for every day.

Current director Lucas got involved with "Show Some Skin" as a freshman. He was confused and felt like he had to start making decisions about who he was and who he wanted to be, and he found that who he wanted to be didn’t fit in at Notre Dame.

He recalls, “I felt like I didn’t belong here. After I was cast, I met an incredible group of people from many racial and ethnic backgrounds, majors and graduating classes, all of whom wanted to make a difference. They wanted ND to be a place where whenever someone had a question about themselves, about who they wanted to be, they would feel and be safe, no matter what the answer. They all wanted to make Notre Dame a place where people could feel like they belonged. Getting to know them and to know Notre Dame through these anonymous stories changed my life and that experience helps me every day in becoming who I am and who I want to be.”

As the executive director and executive producer, respectively, of the upcoming show in spring, Lucas and I invite and encourage all students to audition for "Show Some Skin: Tell Me More." We are looking for a diverse group of actors; no previous experience on stage is necessary.

Acting for "Show Some Skin" is unique because it’s not a fictional script. Each monologue has a real voice behind it and it can be a student sitting in your class, your professor, a staff member or even your roommate. That’s the beauty and the power of the production.

We have selected 30 outstanding monologues for the February 2015 production of "Show Some Skin: Tell Me More." We are looking for a new batch of actors to come into community with one another and present the stories that we believe campus needs to hear.

Auditions will be held this Wednesday, Dec. 3 from 7 p.m. - 9:45 p.m. and Thursday, Dec. 4 from 5 p.m. - 8 p.m. in Andrews Auditorium of Geddes Hall. For questions please email s.someskin@gmail.com

Deandra Cadet

Executive Producer

"Show Some Skin: Tell Me More"

Lucas Garcia

Executive Director

"Show Some Skin: Tell Me More"

Dec. 1