2015 fashion forecast

fashion graphic WEB
Keri O'Mara

With a new semester comes the hope for a more organized life where you actually read assigned chapters and study consistently, instead of in 8-hour caffeine and rage fueled intervals. It is also the perfect time to continue your resolution to eat less desserts as you can still digest dining food and have yet to pile all you calories into a froyo cup with “peanut butter for protein.”

During this revamped period filled with new notebooks, used textbooks and hopefully no binder books — because ugh, those are the worst — take the time to revamp your wardrobe incorporating some of 2015's hottest trends.

This year’s fashion week was like “That ‘70s (Fashion) Show.” Fringe and bellbottoms galore made for a groovy vibe. Try the trend yourself with a suede fringe jacket or sleek black fringe wrap skirt. Put away your normcore mom jeans for a while to try out a flared paired — go for a darkwash to avoid grade school flashbacks.

On the topic of grade school flashbacks, polos are making a comeback? I am attributing this to cool dads everywhere, especially you Ezra Koenig. I can see this being okay if channeled with a Margot Tenenbaum vibe — polo dress, fur coat and bobby pin. However, do not push 2014's normcore boundaries into including oversized polos with logos worn with khakis. This is not the IRL (in Ralph Lauren) look to go for.

On the other side of the spectrum we have the #healthgoth trend. Described in The New York Times as “punk rock meets pilates,” this trend plays on the normcore and Alexander Wang fueled athletic wear frenzy of 2014. Taking the two trends to an extreme, #healthgoth will probably not have a heavy presence on campus — but if you rock a black-netted shirt over your sports bra at Rolf’s, more power to you.

This year’s runways featured structured pieces that can be worn as fashionable everyday pieces or work wear. Woolen camel coats, shirtdresses and culottes (long shorts that resemble a hybrid of gauchos and Bermuda shorts — but are more fashionable than either option) are all over the fashion scene.

This year’s Pantone color is Marsala, a deep red hue channeling wine, Arches National Park and pomegranates. The rich color pairs well with earth tones, grayscale and blues.

If you favor prints over solids, go for gingham or windowpane. Windowpane, an oversized check pattern, is usually worn by the fashionable crowd in contrasting black and white. Pair the two prints together, in a similar color scale, for an easy print mixing equation that won’t clash.

If you are looking to mix up your going out-fits, try an off-the-shoulder top or dress. In a world where crop tops rule the scene, mix it up with the captivating Brigitte Bardot/”Grease” vibe of bare shoulders. You could also try out a one-shouldered version for a take on an asymmetrical look.

To cover up your now cold shoulders throw on a coat and belt it. Obi belts — wide sashes that resemble a child's karate belt — are quite the craze and were seen on the runway over coats, dresses or tunics. Tackle two trends at once in a wool camel-colored coat — the perfect warm neutral — tied with a wide belt in any color.

Men, if any have made it this far into this article, can try out the camel coat trend themselves. Worn over a sportcoat, sweater or denim dress shirt, the rich hue adds sophistication to any outfit. Try tucking a pair of leather gloves into the front pocket of a coat instead of a pocket square for a sultry vibe.