Daniels declares for 2015 NFL draft
Brian Hartnett | Monday, January 19, 2015
Former Notre Dame receiver DaVaris Daniels has declared for the NFL Draft, per an NFL press release.
Daniels’s name appeared on a list released Monday of 74 football players who have been granted special eligibility for this year’s draft, which will be held from April 30-May 2 in Chicago.
Daniel’s father, Phillip Daniels, confirmed his son’s inclusion on the draft-eligible list in a tweet Monday afternoon.
“My son DaVaris Daniels has entered the 2015 NFL draft,” he tweeted. “He has been training hard the past two months to prepare himself.”
My son DaVaris Daniels @SincerelyToot has entered the 2015 NFL draft. He has been training hard the past 2 months to prepare himself.
— Phillip Daniels (@PhillipDaniels) January 19, 2015
DaVaris Daniels tweeted later Monday, “There are no wrong turnings. Only paths we had not known we were meant to walk.”
Daniels did not play for Notre Dame this season after he was suspended from practice and competition as part of an investigation into “suspected academic dishonesty.” On Oct. 14, he tweeted, “my time [at Notre Dame] is done.”
Daniels told The Observer on Nov. 16 that he was unsure whether he would return to Notre Dame for his final year of eligibility.
“I’ve changed my mind at least six times so far, and it’s still going,” he said on that date.
Daniels was also suspended for the spring 2014 semester for academic reasons.
Daniels recorded 80 total receptions for a total of 1,235 receiving yards and seven touchdowns in two seasons at Notre Dame. All seven of Daniels’s career college touchdowns came during the 2013 season, in which he recorded 49 receptions and 745 receiving yards.
Joining Daniels on the draft-eligible list were 2013 Heisman Trophy winner quarterback Jameis Winston of Florida State and this past season’s Heisman Trophy winner, quarterback Marcus Mariota of Oregon, who graduated college with one year of eligibility remaining.
Notre Dame will return its four leading receivers by receptions next season. Sophomore Will Fuller, who led the team with 76 receptions, 1,094 receiving yards and 15 touchdowns, will be back, as will sophomore Corey Robinson, junior Chris Brown and junior C.J. Prosise, who ranked second, third and fourth on the team in receptions, respectively.
Senior Amir Carlisle, the team’s fifth-leading receiver, has one season of eligibility remaining.
"There are no wrong turnings. Only paths we had not known we were meant to walk."
— DaVaris Daniels (@SincerelyToot) January 19, 2015