Huskies take two against Irish

Notre Dame lost both of its matchups against conference foe Northeastern this weekend, dropping to 5-4-3 and seventh place in Hockey East and 10-13-3 overall.

The Irish lost Friday night, 3-2, with the Huskies taking the lead late in the third period on a goal by sophomore forward Dalen Hedges at the 18:30 mark.

Although they not able to come away with a victory, the Irish mounted a comeback in the third period to make it close, climbing out of a two-goal deficit late.

Scores from junior left wings Mario Lucia and Sam Herr knotted the game at two with 6:45 left to play. Lucia’s goal was his 16th on the season, tied for most in the conference. Irish freshman goaltender Cal Petersen had 37 saves on the night, including 16 saves and no goals allowed in the first period.

Irish junior left wing and alternate captain Sam Herr fires off a shot in a 3-3 tie at home with Connecticut on Jan. 16.

The Irish dropped Saturday’s matchup, 4-2, despite gaining an early lead on the Huskies thanks to a goal from junior center Thomas DiPauli, his fifth of the season.

Irish sophomore center Vince Hinostroza picked up his team-leading 18th assist and 21st point of the season on DiPauli's goal.

Northeastern tied the game at one score apiece late in the first period with a goal from Hedges, his third in the series, and built a two-goal lead with two more scores in the third period.

The Irish were able to cut the Huskies' lead in half 15:19 into the third period with a goal from freshman left wing Anders Bjork, but Northeastern pushed its lead back to two with a goal at the 17:30 mark from sophomore forward Mike Szmatula.

The two losses drop Notre Dame (13 points) just behind Northeastern (14) in the Hockey East standings with 10 conference games remaining. All 12 teams in the conference qualify for the Hockey East tournament.

The Irish return to the ice to face New Hampshire this weekend, with games Friday at 7:35 p.m. and Saturday at 6:35 p.m., both at Compton Family Ice Arena.