NDSP hosts RAD training

Expanding their efforts to address sexual assault, the Notre Dame Security Police is partnering with RecSports to offer the Rape Aggression Defense (R.A.D.) program to female students, faculty, staff and other members of the Notre Dame community.

R.A.D. is a nationally certified program in self-defense for women with an emphasis on instruction in physical resistance and educational components including awareness, prevention, risk reduction and avoidance strategies. It has a presence on many college campuses across America and is regularly offered by gyms and martial arts instructors certified by R.A.D.

Program Coordinator Margaret Dawson said NDSP decided to offer the program through RecSports because it was an opportunity to expand accessibility.

“I see students very eager to learn at the beginning of the classes and then the sense of empowerment they feel at the end of it,” she said.

According to Dawson, NDSP hosted R.A.D. for the last 15 years and ran at least three programs every year. The average class size has roughly been six to 12 students, but Dawson said the new RecSports offering hopes to increase turnout and participation.

“The class is designed to give students options when put in dangerous situations,” she said.

According to NDSP’s website, the R.A.D. program requires no special equipment, skills or previous experience and is open to females age 13 and older. The new RecSports class will consist of six two-hour sessions running from Wednesday to March 4. Those interested in attending should contact RecSports or NDSP.