Saint Mary's formal features Hepburn theme

Saint Mary’s students channeled their inner Aubrey Hepburn on Friday at the "Splash of Class" all-school formal held at the Hilton Garden Inn.

The Saint Mary's annual all-school formal incorporated an Audrey Hepburn theme.
Photo courtesy of Lauren Wells

First year Jessica Alberts attended the formal and said the dance provided opportunities for bonding.

“It was a great time for good friends and great memories,” Alberts said. “It was so much fun to be yourself and dance with your friends. It was nice to see everyone dressed up and look so classy.”

Junior Lauren Wells, who organized the dance as the formal chair of the Residence Hall Association (RHA), has helped plan the event for three years.

“I definitely see it as our most successful year thus far,” Wells said. “We [had] some incredible decorations, a free photo booth, hot chocolate bar … and of course we cannot forget the life-size Audrey Hepburn cut-out.”

Wells said the formal requires months of preparation.

“My co-president Maureen Malarney and myself selected our committee in September, and then we went from there,” Wells said.

Wells said the classy theme played off the well-known “Breakfast at Tiffany’s.”

“Being an all-girls school, we have a creative license to do themes that would tend to be more girly,” Wells said.

Junior Lauren Lindbloom expressed how much she enjoyed the theme of the night.

“I love Tiffany’s stuff, so I thought it was really cute, and I thought they did a really good job of decorating," Lindbloom said.

First year Susan Kratzer said her first formal experience surpassed her expectations.

“I didn’t know how many people would be there or what to expect,” Kratzer said, “But it ended up being a lot of fun just being with my friends.”

Lindbloom also said the formal is a good night for building relationships with fellow Saint Mary’s students.

“I think it is good for our sisterhood,” Lindbloom said.

Wells said praised her committee for its attention to detail and hard work that went into choosing the theme and organizing the event.