Investigation of Kim's death continues

Investigation into the death of sophomore student Daniel Kim is ongoing, and authorities are not yet able to provide information on the cause of his death, Roseland Police chief Aaron Catanzarite said Tuesday.

A preliminary report from St. Joseph County deputy coroner Dr. Mike O’Connell ruled out homicide and suicide, but cause of death cannot be determined until there are results from a toxicology report, Catanzarite said. Results could take several weeks to come back.

Catanzarite said the Clay Township Fire Department responded first to a call from Kim's apartment in Roseland on Friday, and he was called in to assist them shortly after, around 12 p.m. Catanzarite and O'Connell ruled out foul play Friday afternoon.

"Conferring with [O'Connell] at that time, it was apparent to us at the initial investigation that there was no foul play and no suicide," Catanzarite said.

A South Bend Tribune report this weekend stated that Notre Dame Security Police (NDSP) had taken over the investigation into Kim's death, but NDSP director Phil Johnson described that information as “inaccurate” in an email.

“The Roseland Police and the St. Joseph County coroner's office handled the case,” Johnson said.

Kim, a business major from Upper Saddle River, New Jersey, was formerly a member of the Notre Dame fencing team. A memorial Mass was held Monday night in the Basilica of the Sacred Heart. University President Fr. John Jenkins presided over the Mass, and Director of Campus Ministry Fr. Pete McCormick delivered the homily.

According to Catanzarite, NDSP is assisting with the investigation, which is consistent with the department's normal protocol.

Associate News Editor Kayla Mullen contributed to this report.