Kerry Cooks accepts secondary coach position at Oklahoma

Notre Dame defensive backs coach Kerry Cooks has accepted a position as the secondary coach at Oklahoma, according to his Twitter account.

Cooks changed his Twitter biography Wednesday night to read “Secondary Coach at University of Oklahoma.”

Thursday morning, Cooks tweeted, “New chapter in my life starting w the Crimson & Cream! Can’t wait to meet my new family! #BoomerSooner”

Oklahoma assistant athletics director/communications Pete Moris wouldn’t confirm the hiring of Cooks when contacted Wednesday night, according to Jason Kersey of The Oklahoman.

Sooners head coach Bob Stoops said in his National Signing Day press conference on Wednesday that he hopes to have his assistant coaching search finalized “between this week and next week.”

Oklahoma’s previous secondary coach, Bobby Jack Wright, announced his retirement from coaching in January.

Irish head coach Brian Kelly wouldn’t address talk of Cooks’ departure in his National Signing Day press conference Wednesday.

“We got nine coaches today,” Kelly said. “We’re going to talk recruiting today. Any changes that we have on the staff we will definitely get you up to date on it, but I’m not going to get into it today talking about coaches, who’s coming, who’s staying.”

TheFootballBrainiacs.com first reported Sunday afternoon that Cooks would be named the defensive backs coach at Oklahoma.

Cooks spent five seasons on staff with the Irish, most recently as the secondary coach this past season. In 2012 and 2013, Cooks served as Notre Dame’s co-defensive coordinator and cornerbacks coach. The Irving, Texas, native joined Irish head coach Brian Kelly’s staff in 2010 as the outside linebackers coach and tutored the cornerbacks in 2011.

Cooks spent stints coaching at Kansas State, Western Illinois, Minnesota and Wisconsin prior to his time at Notre Dame.

Cooks, who played safety at Iowa, was drafted by the Minnesota Vikings in the fifth round of the 1998 NFL Draft, and also played for the Green Bay Packers, Atlanta Falcons and Jacksonville Jaguars before retiring from the league in 2001.