Huntin' for a good time

SamHunt
Erin Rice | The Observer
Erin Rice | The Observer

As spring and warm weather approach, everyone notices a difference in mood, activity and, of course, music. They say March roars in like a lion and comes out like a lamb, and it similarly follows that depressing music and moods transform into bright energies and warm tunes. What better way to ring in the spring season than to attend one of country music’s most anticipated stars Sam Hunt? Hunt is coming to Legends on Saturday night, courtesy of SUB.

After the release of his 2014 fall album “Montevallo,” country fans around the nation have shared and jammed to Hunt’s R&B-country-mix melodies. Many of his songs uniquely combine a bluegrass vibe with rap and R&B stylistic touches. The lyrics to many of his songs reflect the stereotypical country message: summer lovin’, day drinkin’ and life reflectin’. Though some songs embrace calmer tunes and lyrics, a handful adopts high spirits and upbeat vibes. Therefore, country gurus and interested spectators alike can be assured that there's an adequate variety of song types and impressions.

Concert-goers can expect many of Hunt’s popular hits, including “Take Your Time” (which has recently climbed to the top of Billboard’s Hot 100 Country Songs), “Bottle It Up” and “Speakers.” Hunt’s most renowned song, “Leave The Night On,” has landed within the top-25 country hits for a period of consecutive weeks, and viewers can certainly anticipate this as one of the loudest, most anxiously awaited songs of the night. As stated before, Hunt’s notably soulful style brings great diversity to the stage, which places a unique spin on contemporary perception of country. This, in turn, should attract a wide variety of musical interests. So, if you can’t decide on whether to attend, go for the sheer fact of unconventional style and intriguing takes on songs.

For all you country fanatics, keep in mind that Sam not only performs his own songs, but has also composed an assortment of songs as well. Aside from his own album, Hunt has aided in the production of “Come Over” by the legendary Kenny Chesney and “Cop Car” by Keith Urban. If these prominent beats do not entice you, think of Hunt’s simple stage presence. A former University of Alabama at Birmingham quarterback, Sam’s love for performance and music — not to mention his muscles — will carry positive favor for the audience. Even more, Hunt’s unconventional-country style rejects cowboy hats and boots to embrace snap-backs, black tees and flannels. His music and fashion choices, therefore, embody the unification of dissimilar genres. Thus, the threatening combination of good music, compellingly diverse styles, summertime lyrics and performance capability will certainly boost energy and mood for whomever chooses to attend. All that said, if you’re searching for a Saturday night filled with music and hopes for the summer, then rest assured: your Hunt is over!