Musical groups tour over spring break

choir
Photo courtesy of Daniel Pedroza
Sophomores Ricardo Castañeda, left, Quint Mediate, Ryan McMullen and Daniel Pedroza pose on the Glee Club’s concert tour.

Members of the Glee Club and Women's Liturgical Choir (WLC) spent their spring breaks on tour, sharing their repertoires with audiences across the country.

The Women’s Liturgical Choir toured for five days, visiting Dallas, San Antonio and Austin, Texas, sophomore and choir secretary Alyssa McBride said.

“With the exception of our last stop in San Antonio, the choristers stayed with various host families from the ND Dallas and Austin Alumni Clubs,” McBride said.

“It was absolutely wonderful; each of the families that I interacted with were so generous.”

The WLC sang at a variety of Masses but also held concerts at other locations, Saint Mary's junior Libby Wright, vice president of the choir, said.

“We sing a variety of pieces ranging from Renaissance polyphony and music from the 17th through the 21st century, including the highest quality of music called chant,” Wright said.

“We sang at three different Masses and had two concerts. They included music from Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart to more traditional music composed by John Rutter.

“All of our Masses and concerts concluded with the Alma Mater, Notre Dame Our Mother."

The Women’s Liturgical Choir goes on one national tour every year, McBride said.

“It provides the ND WLC the opportunity to share our gifts with communities across the country,” McBride said.

“We share the word of God through song each weekend at the Vigil Mass at the Basilica of Sacred Heart, but we wish to expand our influence beyond the immediate Notre Dame community as well.

“The power of music is truly dynamic; It brings people together and provides them a unique way to nurture their faith,” she said. “Secondly, our tour is a bonding experience for the members of our choir.”

The Glee Club began its tour in Crystal Lake, Illinois and then traveled throughout California, sophomore Daniel Pedroza, a member of the Glee Club, said. The Club sang a two-part concert at venues in Orange County, Los Angeles, Camarillo, Napa, Danville, San Francisco and Oakland, Pedroza said.

‘The first part is a bit more classical," he said. "We sing pieces from the Renaissance period and a few Gregorian chants in Latin.

“Then we have a few international pieces, which we will sing over a grand tour of Europe we will be doing this summer.

“The second half includes some spirituals, barbershop and a few brand new folk songs arranged for us and commissioned by the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center.”

The Glee Club was also able to participate in activities other than singing, Pedroza said.

“Personally, my favorite part, apart from singing at some amazing sites like the Cathedral in Oakland, was exploring San Francisco via a 20-mile bike ride that myself and a few other of the guys did. I had never been before and I can say that I was extremely moved by getting to ride over the Golden Gate Bridge.”

Pedroza said the Glee Club tours every spring and fall break and will sing 15 concerts in 8 countries in Europe this summer.

The Glee Club will hold its annual Spring Concert on Friday, March 20 at the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center.