Saint Mary's names valedictorian

Senior Sarah Miller has been named the valedictorian of the Saint Mary’s College class of 2015.

Miller, a music major and dance minor, is originally from Carmel, Indiana. Miller has been involved on campus as a member of the SMC Dance Team and has performed in the College’s choir, musicals and operas throughout her undergraduate years.

Upon finding out she had received the title of valedictorian, Miller said she was pleasantly surprised, according to a College press release.

“[I] feel so honored to represent women that I have learned so much from throughout my four years at Saint Mary’s College,” Miller said.

The idea of writing a speech for graduation is both exciting and daunting, Miller said.

“I am planning to discuss my personal experience at Saint Mary's and the values of sisterhood and independence that I have gained here,” she said.

Miller said she believes her most important moments at Saint Mary’s stem from her experience as a music major.

“My immersive experiences on stage have been the most influential,” she said. “I have learned so much about my voice and myself through the hours that I have spent alone in a practice room as well as onstage in opera rehearsal.”

Under the direction of music professor Laurel Thomas, who became Miller's "mentor, teacher and inspiration," Miller said she flourished at Saint Mary’s.

According to a College press release, Thomas said Miller is a determined individual with great dedication to the arts.

“Sarah has the personal strength, the patience to continually work toward her goals, the passion for music and learning that is vital to a life in the arts," Thomas said.

Following graduation, Miller said she plans to attend graduate school for vocal performance and is currently in the process of auditioning.

“This is an extremely long and difficult process," she said. “I’m crossing my fingers that I will get into a school next year, but many singers have to wait a couple years to let their voices mature. Many opera singers go to graduate school in their mid-to-late 20s."

Miller said her decision to attend Saint Mary’s was influenced by what she calls the College’s perfect pairing of the voice and dance programs, the opportunities to be exposed to science and the sisterhood she experience during her first visit.

“I absolutely loved all of the girls I met when I toured Saint Mary’s and immediately knew it was were I wanted to be,” Miller stated in the press release. “The opportunities are endless, and I encourage current and incoming students to not only take advantage of learning in the classroom but also from your peers outside of that environment.

“Finding a balance in college can be difficult, but luckily you will always have the Saint Mary’s sisterhood as your support system.”