Saint Mary's welcomes siblings on campus

Four hundred Saint Mary’s siblings took to campus for the annual Little Sibs Weekend on March 20-22. Younger siblings traveled across the world through various themed crafts and activities while enjoying a weekend hosted by the Residence Hall Association with their older sisters.

Co-chairs Emma English and Sara Knable said the theme for this year’s weekend was “All Around the World,” and the events planned for every station were related in some way to different countries in the word.

The weekend began with a welcome party, in which siblings had snacks and took pictures for their weekend passport, followed by “Ice Skating in Ireland” at Compton Family Ice Arena, English said. The majority of events were Saturday and ranged from an “Indian Henna Hangout” to “Chinese Craft Creations” and watching movies during “Soaring in Spain.” Knable said the all-day activity session ended with the largest event in Little Sibs Weekend history, the glow party.

lil sib
Photo courtesy of Emma English
Photo courtesy of Emma English

“The big event for this year is the glow party,” Knable said. “There’s glow sticks and different relay races, black lights and a DJ. It’s a giant party.”

English said although the theme and events of Little Sibs Weekend vary year to year, the spirit of the weekend remains the same. English said the whole point of the weekend is to give students and siblings the opportunity to do activities while spending quality time bonding with one another.

“I’m excited to see everyone all together. I love seeing that sibling bond,” Knable said. “I think it’s important to have your siblings here to show them where you live, where you are when you’re not at home."

English said the strength of family ties inspired this year’s Little Sibs Weekend t-shirt.

“It goes with the quote on the back of the shirts, ‘Side by side or miles apart, siblings like us stay close to the heart,’” English said. “No matter where you are, your siblings are close to your heart.”

English said the ties are evident in the distances siblings traveled to spend time with their sisters, ranging from coast to coast.

“We have girls coming in from California and Virginia,” English said. “This is a huge weekend.”

English said this weekend will promote sibling bonding because, “if you’re home over break, you’re maybe keeping to yourself, relaxing. But when your sibling is here, it’s exciting. You want to show them everything on campus.

“Saint Mary’s girls always want to share our love of Saint Mary’s.”

Knable said this year’s events worked to strengthen familial bonds and foster community on the Saint Mary’s campus between students.

“This year, we made a lot of events that aren’t just you and your sibling,” Knable said. “It’s collaborating and being with other Saint Mary’s students and their siblings. At the glow party, there’s relay races, so you would make teams with other girls and their siblings.

“We’re one family here, so everybody else’s families are combining.”