Belles continue winning ways against Trine

Saint Mary's continued its success in conference play Wednesday night with a decisive 7-2 home victory over Trine.

The win means the Belles (8-7, 3-1 MIAA) remain in third place in the league standings midway through the conference season.

Coming off a short Easter break, Belles head coach Dale Campbell felt his team's conditioning could have been better but that Saint Mary's produced a solid performance Wednesday.

Senior captain Kayle Sexton prepares to serve in a match against Hope on April 17. Sexton won her match Wednesday 6-1, 6-2.

Senior captain Shannon Elliott and junior Andrea Fetters won for the Belles at No. 2 doubles in perhaps the most impressive result of the match, taking the victory in a quick 8-1 match.

“[They] played a very efficient match and really only made a few mistakes,” Campbell said. “Winning 8-1 at No. 2 [doubles] is not easy to do.”

While Campbell said he was worried about his doubles teams earlier in the year, he now feels they are starting to come into their own, improving each time out.

“Our doubles teams are getting better most every match,” Campbell said.

Fetters took the match at No. 1 singles 6-2, 6-4, while senior captain Kayle Sexton won her match at No. 2 singles 6-1, 6-2. Senior Jackie Kjolhede won at No. 3 singles while Elliott won at No. 4 singles. Campbell said his team's veterans were key to getting the victory.

“I think our experience was [most] important against them,” Campbell said.

The Belles do not have much time to rest, as they have a quick 24-hour turnaround before today's non-conference game against Bethel. Campbell says the team has experience playing several matches in a short amount of time and has little worry regarding the team’s adjustment.

“They have done this before, having played four matches in two days, so I know they are ready for that,” Campbell said.

The Pilots (7-11, 1-7 Crossroads) have just three seniors on the roster, making them one of the younger teams the Belles will match up against.

The two teams will take to the court today at Knollwood Country Club in Granger, Indiana, with matches slated to begin at 4 p.m.