HPC names Walsh 'Hall of the Year'

The Hall Presidents Council announced the Hall of the Year awards at its weekly meeting Tuesday, with Walsh Hall winning Hall of the Year, Keenan Hall bringing home Men’s Hall of the Year, and Farley Hall taking Women’s Hall of the Year, Michael Wajda, co-chair of Hall Presidents Council (HPC), said.

“All three dorms had enthusiastic and sustained participation in their hall events, achieved in large part through their personal outreach to all members of the dorm communities,” Wadja said in an email.

The dorms are selected by a committee consisting of the HPC Executive Board, the Judicial Council President and two student Senators, Wadja said. The selection committee focuses on how the dorms embodied “mind, body and heart,” based on their Hall of the Year presentations and monthly Rockne submissions.

“Walsh did an astounding job of engaging the women of Walsh in mind, body, and spirit, through their Harry Potter Week, their Brother-Sister Broomball and their Soul Sister discussion series,” Wadja said.

“Their ‘I am WILD’ initiative also highlighted all of the cultures within the dorm in a way that was inclusive and engaging.”

According to the Hall of the Year results on the Hall Presidents Council website, Farley placed second, trailing Walsh by half a point.

“Farley engaged both the women within the dorm as well as the greater campus community with their variety of events and invited all residents to ‘Come Share Life,’ their new Hall motto,” Wadja said.

“Farley’s award affirmed the attitude that has been seen in Farley all year,” Casey Skevington, president of Farley Hall, said.

“‘Farley’ - just one word makes me smile,” Skevington said. “To me, it means home, family and friends all wrapped into one loving environment. I have been blessed to watch and be a part of the growth of our community all year long.

“I could not be more proud of the women that live within the Finest dorm on campus.”

Keenan placed third in the overall competition but first out of all men’s residence halls and earned the highest presentation score of all dorms as well, according to the results.

“Keenan in particular revealed that they made it their goal to reach out to individuals who might not necessarily be the first ones to participate in events but are members of the community nonetheless,” Wadja said.

Howard came in fourth but earned the highest score in Rockne category, according to the website.

“We heard from so many presidents and vice presidents about events, processes and structures which reflected the unique cultures of their residence halls,” Kathleen Clark, co-chair of HPC, said at the awards.

“They each found a personal leadership style which matched the greatest need of their dorm. We will give out three awards tonight, but we are immensely proud of each of you and what you were able to achieve this year. All of you deserve recognition for a job well done.”

All three winners will receive a monetary award from HPC, Wadja said, while Keenan Hall and Walsh Hall will receive Dome Dances next year.