ND Day to feature first campus wide Global Development Challenge

This Monday, as part of Notre Dame Day, the Notre Dame Initiative for Global Development (NDIGD) will host the first ever Global Development Challenge.

“[The] Global Development Challenge is comprised of six stations centrally located on campus, each relating to a global development challenge that NDIGD and the Notre Dame Community are currently working to address. Each station has a hands-on, interactive challenge for students, faculty, staff and members of the South Bend community to participate in,” event planner Meagan McDermott said.

McDermott said events will include a scavenger hunt, a geography challenge and a 3-point shooting contest.

“Notre Dame Day is about celebrating the best aspects of the University, and so we're excited to showcase the global development work NDIGD and the Notre Dame community is doing in such a fun and interactive way,” she said.

Participants can take on the challenges individually or in teams of up to four people, McDermott said. The six challenges are slated to take no more than an hour and can be completed any time between 10 a.m. and 6:30 p.m.

“Some of the stations will make for great photo opportunities, and there's no better way for students and their friends to spend some down time between classes. The challenges were planned in such a way that anyone can participate and have fun, whether you're taking on the challenges by yourself or with a group of friends,” McDermott said.

McDermott said winners will have the opportunity to either play basketball or have dinner with former Notre Dame basketball player, Ruth Riley.

“Each task relates to a global development issue that Notre Dame is currently working to address in the developing world, such as clean water, education and one of my passions, fighting malaria,” Riley said in a video promoting the challenge.

According to McDermott, the original idea for the events came from Riley and her commitment to helping those in the developing world.

“[Riley] envisioned [the Global Development Challenge] as an opportunity to spread the word about the work that NDIGD is doing to the rest of campus. We were excited about the opportunity to involve students in our mission, and saw Notre Dame Day as a great day to hold the event as we try to spread the word about the work that our office is doing to different parts of campus,” McDermott said.

A portion of the $10 registration fee will go to Connectivity, Electricity and Education for Entrepreneurship in Uganda, one of NDIGD’s many projects, McDermott said.

“This is a great opportunity to learn more about the aid and support Notre Dame is providing to those most in need. The global development work being highlighted through the Global Development Challenge is central to Fr. Sorin's goal of being ‘a global force for good,’” she said.