Relay for Life to enter 11th year

This year’s Relay for Life will be held Friday in Compton Family Ice Arena. According to the relay website, 446 participants from Notre Dame have helped to raise over $105,455 thus far through various fundraising events. The relay Friday will include a variety of activities and entertainment in hopes of raising even more money for cancer research.

Freshman Justin McCurdy and senior Andrea Romeros have served as student co-chairs of the event this year. According to Romeros, this is the relay’s 11th year at Notre Dame. Over the past 10 years, Notre Dame has raised over a million dollars for the American Cancer Society, leading to the University winning first place in the Nationwide College Per Capita Income Award and first place in the Nationwide Survivor Engagement. Notre Dame has also been the recipient of 13 American Cancer Society Research Grants, which altogether totals over $4.5 million provided to Notre Dame for cancer research.

McCurdy said extensive planning has gone into this year’s relay. Several fundraising events have already been held, including Purple Week, named after the American Cancer Society’s signature color, which culminated in a Purple Dinner held in South Dining Hall to raise awareness for this year’s relay. Other events have included a blood drive and an online auction that will continue until 11 p.m. Friday. Additionally, a ‘Jail and Bail’ will be held Friday, in which students can pay to have peers “arrested” by NDSP and forced to either pay $5 or held in “jail” in LaFortune Student Center.

Romeros said support for the Relay has been campus-wide.

“So many people have helped prepare for this year’s relay,” Romeros said, “We have both a faculty-run committee and a student-run committee that help plan and promote the event, not to mention all of the teams that have been holding fundraisers. We are just so excited to having everyone come out to Compton on Friday.”

This edition of the relay is distinct from years past in that rather than going from 6 p.m. Friday to 6 a.m. Saturday, it will end at midnight, Romeros said.

“This year, we can expect a more devoted crowd of participants,” Romeros said, “Since we have shortened the event … we really hope this will encourage students, faculty, staff and community members to stay throughout the event. Of course, you are free to come and go, but we have planned some really great events and ceremonies.”

According to the Relay for Life website, doors will open at 5:30 p.m. Friday, followed by an opening ceremony and kickoff of the relay's first lap led by survivors, caregivers and the Notre Dame Marching Band at 6:30. Activities throughout the night include the silent auction, balloon twisters, inflatables, a basketball shoot-a-thon, ice sculpting, a Zumbathon, karaoke, broomball and an open skate. A luminary ceremony will be held from 9 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., in which candles in decorated paper bags will be lit in honor of victims, survivors and all community members affected by cancer. Closing ceremonies will begin at 11:45 p.m., and the event will officially end at midnight.

“You can just come with your friends and have a good time,” McCurdy said.

Students can pre-register for the relay or sign up at the door on the night of the event. Registration costs $10 and is payable by cash, check, credit or Domer Dollars. More information and updates on the event can be found on the relay’s twitter, @NotreDameRelay, Facebook page or website, relay.nd.edu